Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Fixed Mindset or Growth Mindset?

The past three days, I have had the privilege to listen to and interact with some experts in the field of literacy.  Tonight, as I sit down to write this long overdue blog post, my mind is buzzing with so many thoughts and questions!  Probably the most important question I'm asking myself as I reflect on my learning from the past three days is "What am I going to do differently because of this new learning?"

The teachers in my district, myself included, are BLESSED to be able to extend our learning by participating in professional learning communities in our schools and by attending various workshops, conferences, and edcamps.  We are encouraged to be life-long learners and we are encouraged to share our learning with those around us. I am thankful that our district provides the resources that allow us to grow and learn!

This week, I attended a conference hosted by the Missouri Association of Reading Recovery Educators (MARRE).  There are many things that I learned that I could share about in this post, but perhaps the most fascinating information, and the information that had the most impact on my thinking, was what I heard in the sessions led by Dr. Peter Johnston.  I have not read Opening Minds or Choice Words, two of Dr. Johnston's books, but I am going to read them soon! (http://www.stenhouse.com/html/authorbios_34.htm/)  Dr. Johnston shared many thoughts and ideas with his listeners, but his talk on the theories of intelligence was especially fascinating to me.  It caused me to stop and think about my own educational journey and the educational journeys of the children I come in contact with on a daily basis.  It caused me to think about whether I, as an educator, have a "fixed mindset" or a "growth mindset".  It also caused me to think about what I say to children and how my words can have an impact on whether a child develops a "fixed mindset" or a "growth mindset".

So...as an educator, do you have a "fixed mindset"? 
Do you hold to the idea that you know what you know, that intelligence is static? 
Do you desire to look smart, which in turn causes you to avoid challenges (like a child with a behavior issue) or give up easily when there are obstacles in your path (like the not-so-great attitudes of colleagues)? 
Do you see effort as fruitless (like trying to help a child who is having trouble progressing) or feel threatened by the success of others (like that "rock star" teacher down the hall)?

Or maybe--hopefully--you have a "growth mindset" instead. 
Do you feel like intelligence can grow and do you have a desire to learn? 
Do you embrace challenges (like finding a way to reach that child who has a behavior issue) and do you persist despite obstacles (like trying to be positive in response to the not-so-great attitudes of colleagues)? 
Do you see effort as the path to mastery (like continuing to try to help a student who is having trouble progressing) and do you feel inspired by the success of others (like learning from that "rock star" teacher down the hall)?

I don't know about you, but I want to be an educator with a "growth mindset" who can, by my choice of words, impact the lives of children and help them develop a "growth mindset" as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment